Experience centuries-old traditions and Japanese cuisine alongside modern architecture and technology! Japan exudes culture, natural wonders and history. In this Asian country, the modern lies next to the ancient. From tranquil zen gardens and peaceful pagodas to neon-lit cities and robot restaurants, Japan is a top destination for first-time and returning visitors.
• A pick of Japan’s must-sees, top experiences and hidden gems.
• The best spots to eat, drink, shop and stay.
• Detailed maps and walks make navigating the country easy.
• Expert advice and easy-to-follow itineraries.
• Color-coded chapters to every part of Japan, from Tokyo to Kyoto City, Hokkaido to Okinawa.
Visit famous cities like Tokyo, see the cherry blossoms in Kyoto or shop until you drop in futuristic Shibuya. If history is what you’re after, take a trip to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, or visit Nakanoshima Museum of Art. If you’re keen on the countryside, jump a shinkansen and speed your way to bubbling hot springs, explore Japanese beaches or gasp at the majesty of Mount Fuji. And if that wasn’t enough to entice you to visit, there’s the food — perfect noodles, delicate sushi and warming hotpots.
Updated edition Dec 2021