Discover these spellbinding regions of central Italy with the most incisive and entertaining guidebook on the market. Whether you plan to catch the Siena Palio, rent a villa in the Valnerina or explore the extraordinary art collection of Florence's Palazzo Pitti, The Rough Guide to Tuscany & Umbria will show you the ideal places to sleep, eat, drink, shop and visit along the way.
- Independent, trusted reviews written with a blend of humour, honesty and insight, to help you get the most out of your visit, with options to suit every budget.
- Full-colour maps throughout - navigate the tight-knit alleys of central Florence or the winding roads of Chianti without needing to get online.
- Stunning images - a rich collection of inspiring colour photography.
- Things not to miss - Rough Guides' rundown of Tuscany and Umbria's best sights and experiences.
- Itineraries - carefully planned routes to help you organize your trip.
- Detailed regional coverage - whether off the beaten track or in more mainstream tourist destinations, this travel guide has in-depth practical advice for every step of the way. Areas covered include: Florence; Fiesole; Chianti; Prato; Pistoia; the Valdinievole; Lucca; Barga; the Orecchiella; Pisa; Livorno; Elba; The Maremma; Siena; San Gimignano; Volterra; Pienza; Montepulciano; Pitigliano; Arezzo; Cortona; Perugia; Lago Trasimeno; Gubbio; Assisi and the Vale of Spoleto; Spoleto and the Valnerina; Narni; Todi; Orvieto.
- Attractions include: Piano Grande; The Uffizi, Florence; Ponte delle Torri, Spoleto; Alpi Apuane; the Piero della Francesca trail; Chianti's vineyards; Parco Naturale Regionale della Maremma; Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa; Abbazia di Sant'Antimo and many more.
- Basics - essential practical information including getting there, local transport, accommodation, food and drink, the media, festivals, sports and outdoor activities and more.
- Background information - a Contexts chapter devoted to history, art and architecture, books, plus a handy language section and glossary.
Updated edition May 2018