Discover this spectacular destination with the most incisive and entertaining guidebook on the market. Whether you plan to sample fine wines in Hawke's Bay, canoe along the Whanganui River or hike across the Franz Josef Glacier. Rough Guide to New Zealand will show you the ideal places to sleep, eat, drink, shop and visit along the way.
* Independent, trusted reviews written with Rough Guides' trademark blend of humour, honesty and insight, to help you get the most out of your visit, with options to suit every budget. Full-colour maps throughout - navigate New Zealand's towns and cities or its scenic coastal roads without needing to get online.
* Stunning images - a rich collection of inspiring colour photography.
* Things not to miss - Rough Guides' rundown of New Zealand's best sights and experiences.
* Itineraries - carefully planned routes to help you organize your trip. Detailed regional coverage - whether off the beaten track or in more mainstream tourist destinations, this travel guide has in-depth practical advice for every step of the way. Areas covered include: Auckland, Northland, Western North Island, Central North Island, The Coromandel, Bay of Plenty and the East Cape, Poverty Bay, Hawke's Bay and the Waiarapa, Wellington, Marlborough, Nelson and Kaikoura, Christchurch, Central South Island, Dunedin, Stewart Island, the West Coast, Queenstown, Wanaka and Central Otago, Fiordland.
* Attractions include: Milford Sound, Farewell Spit, Kaikoura Peninsula, White Island, Ninety Mile Beach, East Cape, the Catlins. Abel Tasman National Park, Wai-o-Tapu, wine regions.
* Basics - essential pre-departure practical information including getting there, local transport, accommodation, food and drink, health, the media, festivals, outdoor activities, culture and etiquette, and more.
*Background information - a Contexts chapter devoted to history and recommended books, plus a guide to Maori language and a glossary.
Updated edition Feb 2019